Thursday, September 14, 2006

What's Joel Osteen All About

I hope you are all up for some negativity this morning. And I also hope I say what I love as much as what I hate. This is a little excerpt from Joel Osteen's podcast today. He begins each service with leading everyone in the service in reciting this little chant.

This is my Bible. I am what it says I am. I have what it says I have. I can do what it says I can do. Today I will be taught the word of God. I boldly confess, my mind is alert, my heart is receptive, I will never be the same. I am about to receive the incorruptible, indestructible, ever living seed of the word of God. I will never be the same, never never never, I’ll never be the same, in Jesus name.”

The message that followed was thoroughly corrupt. Osteen mentioned in passing two scripture references. His whole message was about “going higher,” fullfilling your potential. The prosperity gospel is at the center of his teaching. What I did find curious was in his twenty-six minutes of moralizing how many similarities I could find between his teaching and the revivalistic right wing fundamentalists. I was surprised by this. They both tend to be very specific in application and very spotty in biblical exegesis. They even employ the same crowd moving schemes of rhetoric. Finally, Osteen tacked this on to the end of his message.

We never like to close our broadcasts without giving you an opportunity to make Jesus the Lord of your life, would you pray with me today. Just say, Lord Jesus I repent of my sins, I ask you to come into my heart, was me in you blood, I my Lord and Savior. Friends, if you prayed that prayer, I believe you got born again. Get in a good Bible based church. Keep God first place in your life. We love you, we’ll be praying for you. I hope you join us at this same time next week.”

This message having been preceded by no mention of the gospel of Christ is exactly what the church does not need.

1 comment:

Matthew LaPine said...

ht: Molher
http://www.albertmohler.com/blog_read.php?id=766

from here:
http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=155574&srvc=home

He's the most popular preacher in the country right now - a best-selling author and the "most watched minister" in America.

But when asked yesterday about gay marriage during a trip to the bluest state in the land of the free - and the only one where same-sex nuptuals are legal - the Rev. Joel Osteen suddenly got sheepish.

"I don't think it's God's best," the handsome Holy Roller said of homosexuality. "I never feel like homosexuality is God's best."

When pressed on the issue, Osteen said, "I don't feel like that's my thrust . . . you know, some of the issues that divide us, and I'm here to let people know that God is for them and he's on their side."