Monday, July 24, 2006

"Belief Statements Create Harmful Borders"

http://www.oldtruth.com/blog.cfm/id.2.pid.334
Tony Jones, a member of the group Emergent (others, Brian McLaren and Doug Pagitt)"Belief Statements Create Harmful Borders."


...It becomes an obsession -- guarding the borders. That is simply not the ministry of Jesus. It wasn't the ministry of Paul or Peter. It started to become the ministry of the early Church, and it abated somewhat in the Middle Ages and blew back to life in the time of modernity. For the short duration of time that I have on this planet to do my best to partner with God and build His kingdom, I don't want to spend it guarding borders. I'd like to spend it inviting people into the kingdom. Statements of faith don't do they. They're a modernistic endeavor that I'm not the least bit interested in.

1 comment:

Matthew LaPine said...

I can't help thinking of Christianity and Liberalism and Machen applied this verse.
Gal 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!