Thursday, July 20, 2006

He Shall Be Like A Wave of the Sea


From: LaPine, Matthew A
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:34 PM
To: Dare, Brian S
Subject:


http://blog.togetherforthegospel.org/2006/07/should_evangeli.html

From: Dare, Brian S
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:50 PM
To: LaPine, Matthew A
Subject: RE:


I see some valid points in this article. The whole idea that we simply don’t know the true condition of anyone’s soul seems to be the theme here. I wonder however, how they work this out practically. Do they question a new believer, or struggling believer’s salvation vocally? Even Paul told some to make their, “calling and election sure.” So sometimes this may be necessary, but at other times this can be detrimental to the tender heart. In contra distinction to a hard heart, a sincere soul would be better to be pointed to the cross then to practice unhealthy introspection. If their mentors also question their salvation, this leads to doubt rather than faith - doubt’s antitheses. For example I wonder what George Whitfield meant when he said this: "it will never do a sincere soul any harm."

From: LaPine, Matthew A
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 3:27 PM
To: Dare, Brian S
Subject: RE:


“If their mentors also question their salvation, this leads to doubt rather than faith - doubt’s antitheses.”

Good point.

Seems to me though, when we speak of doubt, what one is doubting is important. People always have faith in Christ’s ability to save, but doubt whether they’ve “done” what is necessary for that gift to apply to them. That’s maybe what we need to be much more clear about. The problem with the Calvinistic position, is that technically (from an external perspective) God initiates it, and man responds having been regenerated… How can I know if I’ve been regenerated?

“What are you trusting in for Salvation?” What do you think of that question?

From: Dare, Brian S
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 3:51 PM
To: LaPine, Matthew A
Subject: RE:


I think that is a very good question. The issue here is faith. Like you said, most of those who are doubting are not doubting the sufficiency of the cross but rather if they have “done” the right thing in regards to the cross. Whether they have true faith, true repentance, true confession etc… Here lies the problem of doubt all together, you are tangled up in introspection concerning weather or not you have “done” the right thing to be saved. Doubt looks inward, Faith looks outward. The illustration from John 3 concerning the bronze serpent was a real help to me when I was experiencing doubt. The promise in Rom 1:16-17 really sealed the deal for me. Meditating on these verses brought a refreshing assurance of faith.

If regeneration is a work of God which comes by no merit of our own than all we must do is respond in faith - stripped of all else. A line from a song that really helped me once I came to assurance was “Nothing in my hands I bring, only to the cross I cling.”

No comments: