Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Chandler on Preaching the Bible

From Matt Chandler's, Vision of a Church Planter which can be found at Resurgence from their recent conference.
A church on mission is committed to the authoritative, infallible, inspired, all sufficient Scriptures...If you don't believe the Scriptures are sufficient it's going to be easy to leave behind parts of it in the interest in engaging...It's been a long long time since I've heard anyone address hell.
...
Let me tell you why I'm so committed to that (expository preaching), because I am a creative, artistic thinker and if I'm not careful I'm going to out think the Scriptures. And I'm not going to address things that God says are a big, big, big deal. And so you've got to wrestle with this because I'm telling you what's going to happen is you're going to engage a society that finds Christ to be the aroma of death. And the thought if you're not careful is if you just squirt a littler perfume on him, if you just clean him up a little bit, if you just make him not as offensive, not as bloody, if you can do that, then more people will accept him and the second you done that you are not longer presenting God in the flesh. You are presenting the marginalized Jewish peasant who just happened to be brilliant in ethics.

No comments: