Saturday, March 08, 2008

Shy or Popular?

Which would you rather be?

I went to an interesting workshop at the Biblical Counseling Conference that gave me insight into these labels (I think I have considered myself both at different times). Neither of these labels is necessarily right or biblical. Both are just different ends on the continuum of pride. One gets what I think I deserve. The other doesn't get what I think I deserve.

Notice the contrast in thoughts.

Pride Unfulfilled
I am such a loser.
I don't fit in.
Everyone can tell how nervous I am.
I don't have anything to say.
I'm so ugly.
I'm boring.
I have to get out of here before I embarrass myself any more.
My voice is quivering.
I sound stupid.
I'm a social misfit.
People must think I'm crazy.
Everyone thinks I'm too quiet.

Pride Fulfilled
I'm such a winner!
I'm so popular.
Everyone can see how poised/cool/attractive I am.
Everything I have to say is worth listening to.
I'm beautiful.
I'm fascinating.
I love being the center of attention.
I need to be here or no one would have any fun.
My voice sounds so confident.
I sound intelligent.
I have it all together.

Both sets have a common theme--"I". The opposite of pride is godly humility and a focus on others. The right thoughts to think in relationships or in groups are:

How can I minister to the people here?
Who needs a word of encouragement?
How does God want to use me at this party/church service/meeting?
I might fail in my attempts to show love to others, but God can use that too. What He does with me is up to Him.
I am here to love others, not to have my own desires fulfilled.

- Amy Hatfield
Stolen from From Our Backyards

No comments: