Monday, December 04, 2006

The Importance of Biblical Theology in Preaching

Just a quick link: Eucatastrophe

I do like this blog. I'm excited to hear that he is going to post more when the semester is over.

Graeme Goldsworthy writes:
1. Congregations will not understand the unity of the Bible or the progressive nature of revelation. They will fall prey to those proclaiming the disunity of the biblical message; and a fragmented Bible cannot be recognized as the inspired word of God.

2. Congregations will not understand the centrality of Christ for interpreting Scripture and the meaning of life in our world. Recourse to people and events—particularly those of the Old Testament—will be valued mainly for their exemplary lessons, and not for their typological contribution to understanding the person and work of Christ. They will not see that Christ in his gospel is the interpreting principle for Scripture and, indeed, for all reality.

3. Grace will be eroded by legalism. Preaching that principally points to the examples of Bible characters leads almost inevitably to legalism since the connection with the gospel of grace will be clouded or even completely lost.
Read on

2 comments:

Leah Dietrich said...

Well stated post. I have three thoughts.

1) I wonder what he means by "they will fall prey to those proclaiming the disunity of the biblical message." Is this a blast toward dispensationalists or is he stating problem of fragmented, text hopping, messages?

2) I wonder how many people have truly heard biblical preaching. We all talk about being biblical, but are we really?

3) I'm pleased to share that many (220 to date) of Pastor Rich Van Heukelum's messages are available at www.sermonaudio.com/wftw. I am personally thankful for his commitment to and example of biblical preaching. I just finished his sermons on spiritual gifts in 1 Cor. If you've not listened to his preaching, The Pharisee in Me is a good place to start.

Matthew LaPine said...

1) who knows? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. :) lol

2) I think the point was Biblical theology within preaching. Mark and I were talking about this the other day. A danger with the commonly practiced method of expositional preaching is to become too narrow in our approach. How many Bible college students hear expositional preaching described and think, "wheh! I don't have to know the message of the book I'll just figure it out as I go!" I know I did... Anyway, to truly preach expositionally take a TON of preparation.

3) thanks for the link!