Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Up All Night Thinking About Evangelism

From Pure Church, by Thabiti Anyabwile

But there's still the "why" of my evangelistic duldrums. Why am I not doing more already?

I think I need to deepen my love for the Savior and the Good News of the Savior. I think I need to contemplate more deeply the majesty, person, and work of our Lord. I also need to think more deeply and pray more fervently about the perishing souls that surround me. I can't say I consistently view people the way Jesus views them. My valuation of their souls is too low. I think I lack urgency. I think I "trust in God's sovereignty" in the wrong way at times. I need to repent.

Two hours later, here's my initial plan:

  • Meet the neighbors and schedule dinner with them in the first 30 days.
  • Pray for opportunities and a ready mind.
  • Find a new barber (a bro. needs a cut), preferrably one with decent skills but not a Christian.
  • Phone the brother of a friend who lives on the island and is not a believer. Do lunch.
  • Pray that the Lord would send laborers into the harvest and for friends on the field.
  • Think through an initial strategy for training and encouraging others in evangelism.
  • Adjust my reading plan to focus more intently on the Savior and the gospel (I'd welcome recommendations).
  • Pick up those two biographies I've been neglecting (The Life and Diary of David Brainerd and To the Golden Shore).
  • Pray, pray, pray for a fervent spirit and abiding love for the lost.

What am I missing?

2 comments:

Matthew LaPine said...

Only the grace of God, its breathtaking.
Thanks

FellowElder said...

Matthew,
A good reminder to lean more deeply into God's grace! Thanks bro.
Thabiti